"Painters are almost all Don Quixotes"

"Painters are almost all Don Quixotes"

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Le Sigh... The LOVE of my Life...


Have I ever mentioned that I'm a hardcore Peter Pan fan? Fan isn't deep enough, honestly... If Peter Pan were remotely traceable, I believe I'd be a Pan stalker! You know... those creepers that save the discarded tissues and band-aids of celebrities?


Although there are many adaptations of Sir James Matthew Barrie's beautiful tale, my favorite has always been Hook. Many people (namely my mother) can't stand this movie... And I truly wonder why that is. I honestly cry every time! I love Robin Williams in roles such as this! He also acts in this movie!:


One of my other most favorite movies... It's absolutely haunting, and visually breathtaking, and it just... transports you into a world of beautiful dreams. Once again, I cry every time. Maybe that's my defining moment when determining a favorite movie.

LET'S COMPILE A LIST!! (It's what I'm good at)

Favorite movies:
o Hook
o What Dreams May Come
o Fly Away Home
o Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (He he he... Drives my family nuts...)
o The Court Jester (starring Danny Kaye, one of the most beautiful persons I can think of)
o The Little Mermaid
o Benny and Joon (Johnny Depp)
o Strictly Ballroom
o Ever After (Duh! His name is HENRY! My favorite name!)
o March of the Wooden Soldiers (A Laurel and Hardy film)
o Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
o Life is Beautiful (Thank you Lord, it IS beautiful!)
o The Pagemaster
o Star Wars: Episode IV, V, & VI
o Edward Scissorhands (Johnny Depp again)
o Titanic (another DUH)
o Am I allowed to say ALL Julia Roberts movies? Her and Kate Winslet tie for most gorgeous woman in my book. :)
o What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (Interesting movie to swallow but, again, Johnny Depp hahaha)


Oh dear... Well, I'm certain I'll keep editing this list over and over. But, that's what lists are for, right? So we can check off, discard, rewrite, scribble on, reevaluate, discard again, rewrite, get it perfect, accidentally rip it, get frustrated, discard, start list about something else, get bored, come back to original subject, and REPEAT! :)

Song of the... evening? Early morning? I need to get off this blog... "Higher and Higher"- Jackie Wilson

5 comments:

  1. Megan, you should consider writing for a living. You are interesting and engaging and smart and funny. Love your list and I still don't get the Hook fascination, but the rest of the list is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this one of your drawings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they dislike Hook because it has a LOT of mistakes as per Barrie's original stories. a LOT of 'em. Which hand the hook is on, the names of Wendy's daughter line, the fact that Hook is dead... just to name a few.

    As a fan of Pan, you need to know about these two books. The first is a continuation based on Barrie's own idea for more adventures of the boy... Click!
    No Hook in it (except by mention) since he died, but there are new enemies (one of whom is from Barrie!)

    And if Captain Hook is your cup of tea, be sure to also read this one... he factors into it heavily as he devises a plan that changes the course of Barrie's book entirely...a grand "What if?" adventure! Click! [This one is NOT for kids, tho!]

    BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother:Unfortunately it isn't one of my drawings.. And I don't know about writing. Never thought about it before!

    Never Fairy: I realize Hook is nowhere close to the ACTUAL storyline... Which is why I like it so much! It's an ADAPTATION of the original storyline,which is what makes it so much more interesting than those versions that repeat the same story again and again. I wish more people could recognize that and see the value it has instead of judging it based on technicalities. But, thank you for those links! Interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. I don't see it as okay in the sense that it's supposed to be a direct sequel to the original story... and if they can't have enough respect for it as to get simple facts right (let alone an entirely contradictory premise).... BUT, that's probably just me. :D
    Well, we'll have to disagree except about our love of Pan himself. :)

    H&J veers from Barrie, too, actually, but never does so without a REASON and thereby sets up like an alternate timeline/universe or something (I suppose one can argue so does Hook but then H&J is very deeply rooted in the themes and characterizations and such, and as I said, makes slight alterations with great skill and purpose.
    Okay, ranting over ;)
    Hope you like those books!
    [Still] BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete